Amoxicillin is a drug used to treat a number of different bacterial infections. This is one of the first aminopenicillin drugs developed and is certainly among the oldest antibiotics still used today. Amoxicillin was developed in England in the 1960’s and was finally introduced to the market in 1972. As mentioned, it belongs to the aminopenicillin family of drugs, and was the second such drug to be released, after ampicillin in 1961. Given its effectiveness in combating bacteria, we can hardly be surprised that this drug became a success, and just several years after it appeared on the market, it was being sold all over the world.
- What is Amoxicillin?
- How does Amoxicillin work?
- What is Amoxicillin used for?
- What is the dosage of Amoxicillin?
- What should I know before taking Amoxicillin?
- Where can Amoxicillin be obtained?
The importance of the drug was highlighted by the fact that this drug was included in the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines, which serves as a collection of medications that are vital in any professional health system. Over the years, this drug has been sold under many different names, so it can be called several dozen different ways, including Actimoxi, Amoxin, Arsogil, Ezymox, Isimoxin, Senox, Tolodina, Zoxicillin, and many others.
As ab antibiotic, Amoxicillin’s main function is to fight bacteria. Antibiotics fight bacterial infections in many ways, such as targeting different bacteria types or stopping them from growing and multiplying further. If we are referring to the specific mechanism used by Amoxicillin, this is the action of disrupting the growth of the cell wall. The cell wall is vital for bacteria to survive, and in taking away this crucial element, Amoxicillin slows down and halts bacterial infections. It is important to note that this type of effect is most efficient in regards to Gram-positive bacteria, and not as much in Gram-negative.
Amoxicillin is prescribed in many different cases, such as a treatment for:
- Sinusitis. Also known as a sinus infection, sinusitis strongly affects the nasal passages, causing nasal mucus, facial pain, fever, cough, headache, and sore throat. When sinusitis is caused by a bacterial infection, symptoms can last for several weeks.
- Acute otitis media. This condition is usually called an ear infection. Acute otitis media manifests in the form of ear pain and hearing loss. Children are the most affected by this condition, and over half of all cases involve toddlers under the age of five.
- Acne vulgaris. Acne is a very common condition that most people experience at some point in their lives. While it may occur rarely in some people, with the occasional zit flaring up, others experience severe infections that require treatment with antibiotics such as Amoxicillin.
- Urinary tract infection. UTI is commonly called a bladder infection, and its symptoms can be quite unpleasant. People experiencing this condition may experience pain during urination, urinary frequency, and even fever.
- Salmonella. This is a dangerous infection that is usually picked up after eating raw or undercooked food. Salmonella infection will typically cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. Treatment can take up to a week.
- Lyme disease. This is a disease carried by ticks, with infection starting as a rash and later causing fever, headache, tiredness, and eventually more severe symptoms.
Amoxicillin comes in capsule, tablet, and syrup form. Its dosage is determined by several factors, such as the patient’s medical history, age, weight, the severity and type of his/her condition. If you are considering treatment with Amoxicillin, you should only take the dosage prescribed to you by your healthcare provider.
However, here are some general guidelines for adult patients:
- For treatment of UTI, a dose of 250 or 500 mg should be taken 3 times a day.
- For treatment of Lyme disease, a dose of 500 mg should be taken 3 times a day for at least 2 weeks.
- Treatment of ear infection, sinusitis, and pneumonia should come with 3 daily doses of 250 or 500 mg.
- Treatment of Anthrax should proceed with 500 mg doses taken every 8 hours.
For children, the doses will usually be smaller and will be calculated based on their body weight.
As you probably know, drugs are neither perfect nor universal. They come with certain precautions, contraindications, and side effects.
For example, here are some precautions to consider before ordering this Amoxicillin:
- Amoxicillin should not be taken by anyone allergic to the drug or its substances. People who are allergic to other drugs of this category or cephalosporin antibiotics are also at risk and should consult their doctor before initiating treatment.
- Patients who suffer from kidney disease, infectious mononucleosis, diabetes, colitis, and Hemodialysis are advised against taking this drug, as their condition may worsen.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should only take Amoxicillin in extreme cases specified by their doctor, as the drug could negatively affect the child.
- Patients who take certain drugs, including Tylenol, Aspirin, Xanax, Lipitor, Nexium, Cymbalta, Zyrtec, and Vitamins B12, C, and D3 face the possibility of interactions if Amoxicillin is taken with them.
Patients should also look out for the following side effects:
- Sore throat
- Chest pain
- Muscle ache
If you experience any severe side effects, be sure to get professional medical help as quickly as possible.
Given the popularity of the drug, it should be no problem to head over to the nearest pharmacy and get this drug, right? While this may be true, you should also consider other solutions. First of all, it can take a while to get to a pharmacy that has the product and wait in line to get it. Secondly, you may be charged an excessive amount of money that will surely affect your budget. You should consider the fact that Amoxicillin is available in generic form, and is being sold in numerous online stores for prices that are much more appealing. Generic drugs are virtually the same as the ones that are first developed by a pharmaceutical company, but they can be produced by any approved manufacturer and don’t bear the same labels, look, and name as the original version. Nevertheless, generics are much more affordable and easy to get. If you choose a reliable online store that offers generic Amoxicillin, you can forget about the hassle involved in buying at your pharmacy and simply wait for the medication to arrive at your doorstep.
Product disclaimer: All the information on the pharmaceutical products, in particular, drugs provided on the site is solely for informational purposes. By no means, it can replace a consultation with dedicated experts. Before buying products from our pharmacy, even OTC medicines, please do consult your healthcare provider, and make sure they are suitable for your medical history and will be well-tolerable. From our side, we do not bear any responsibility for the efficiency and side effects.